Friday, January 24, 2014

Muzium Seni Pahang

This was a spur of the moment kind of thingy. We happened to pass through here on this day and decided to stop.  Before this we tried coming here but it closes on weekends.  Weirdo!

This Art Museum is in an old colonial building - our kind of building.  The tourism information center is opposite this building. Both building are in the middle of the town however, parking was easy.

I didn't realize we had theme colors that day - red and blue!


The main entrance to the building was behind us.


The reception table (that's what it was) was manned by a lady clerk-cum-receptionist who looked sleepy.  We were very excited.  It turned out that we were the only visitors.  So, we had the place to ourselves.  I was more interested in the architecture and started to dream of building similar kind of house back in Bukit Mertajam - after retirement.  

Well, as usual, we MUST write our names in the guest book - sort of "I wuz 'ere" kind of thing.


This was in the first exhibition room - paintings by local artistes.
This picture looks funny cos you guys looked like you're hovering over something on the wall.
The information on the wall said the artiste was from Sarawak. Hence, the type of painting - jungles, hornbills, tribesmen, pitcher plants, rafflesias and the likes.


This was in an exhibition hall on crafts made by the Canadian native indians and the local Sarawakian Iban tribe.  Most of the crafts bore some kind of resemblance.  Behind me were the faces of the local indigenous people and of the Native Indians of Canada.

That's a dream catcher (Canada). It catches bad dreams and those dreams disappear in the morning.
I've heard of dream catchers before but didn't really know what it was until after this visit - googled it, of course!


There were many chances and meetings with the Indians and their arts when I was studying in Arizona and then in Indiana but I just didn't bother then.  So, I felt kind of like missing something that I should've known something about - did you get what I mean?  Like it's a waste that I didn't explore local traditions, customs and traditions when I was studying there.

Zoey was ballet-dancing (of all things!)


You guys were really interested in masks.  I stayed away from them. I don't have good feelings about masks.  So anyway, these masks were from many different countries including China and Indonesia.  Many bore the same lion-like expressions.  It shows that the cultures of the world are actually interconnected. How interesting!

So I just sat in the middle of the hall trying to look as if I didn't care. 
I was looking at a door I accidentally saw while busy eyeing the room.  That must be a secret door - like the one in the Chronicles of Narnia. Pffft!


I liked the color combo here.
Left: younger sister Asha
Right: older sister Nina


Zoey insisted for a picture with Mama at the same spot.


In the same hall but at a different corner.
I don't like monkey masks.  They're sinister.


It's good that she's interested in arts too.  We try to let you explore different types of arts so that you'll learn to appreciate our culture.


It was a small museum. So, after the visit, we decided to while our time away and the mall was the perfect choice.  I was trying on so many shoes that Zoey became bored. Hahaha... Kesian dia.


 She was really restless.


And did everything to entertain herself.


Well, despite the size and the number of exhibits, it was a fun outing for us.  We were able to explore and got to know new cultures within a short period of time.  But there was little to no publicity and I think that's the reason we're the only ones there.

I hope I have the time to put all the pictures on those interesting exhibits in the future entry in case something happens to the PC although the memory remains ingrained in my mind. Love you all!

No comments: